Sunday 26 October 2008

Oxford.

This weekend I went to the Ford of Ox to convene with my family and to catch up with my best friend, who is at Mansfield studying Maths. ♥(:

Friday: After an eventful bus ride from New Cross Gate (which involved bearded ladies and drunken Scousers, to say the least) I took the Oxford Tube from Marble Arch. The journey lasted some two and a bit hours and involved multiple games of Tetris on the DS, but I reached Oxford in good time, considering it was a Friday evening. At 6:30 we went to the Natural History Museum for the opening of Ian's photography exhibition. The pictures on show were amazing and there were plenty of nibbles on offer, so all in all it was a good evening. My mum and brother arrived at 8ish and we collected my dad from Heathrow at 9:30. It was so very nice to see them again.

Saturday: I met up with Charlotte in the afternoon and we went to a cafe for hot chocolate, carrot cake and a chat. It was raining so we were forced to postpone our moseying plans and after a quick and unsuccessful hunt for a copy of Beowulf we made our way over to the college. I explored Charlotte's room upon arrival and after watching a couple of episodes of South Park on her laptop we went down to the Hall for tea. Later, following Charlotte's after-dinner nap, we went across to the college bar for an Open Mic evening. Then, along with a couple of fellow Mansfield freshers, we adventured into the centre of town, where we danced and, more importantly, Charlotte assassinated Will! It was lovely seeing CH again and I wish I had been able to stay longer. Next time I suppose..

Sunday: We left Oxford at 11:30 and set off on a rainy Greenwich adventure. We ate lunch at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet restaurant, then went for a walk, where upon we discovered a delightful covered market. My mum and I spent many a minute wandering through the various crafty stalls, our mouths agape in wonder. In the end we left empty-handed, but with big plans to return, and made our way towards to charred corpse of the Cutty Sark. Covered-up with a large white tarpaulin there was little to see, so instead we ventured into a lift and down into a tunnel, which passed directly under the Thames.

Eventually, my parents took me back to New Cross. My mum helped me to change my sheets before they left, and my dad hand-washed a pair of my jeans. They gave me lots of snacks and tins of beans, which, although lovely, were not quite enough to replace them.
Never mind. We have Tuesday afternoon too. (:

No comments: