Sunday 29 November 2009

Hey Sports-fans!



I had a lovely family weekend. After a very slow start I made it to Oxford on Friday evening. Unfortunately the bus was delayed and diverted, but there was time for Chinese take-away and a quick catch up before bed. In the morning I went to the Ashmolean museum with my dad. We had the pleasure of viewing the 'Johnny's' and also work by Pissarro, Turner and Sickert. My favourite piece involved two dogs and a windmill, but I cannot find it on the Internet for love nor money. After lunch we drove into London. We unpacked at my house and went in search of food, settling for Burger King and jacket potatoes at Surrey Quays shopping centre. We hopped aboard the 188 at Canada Water and after a tense rush-hour journey we made it to the O2 in time to catch the opening minutes of the ATP World Tour.

Now let it be said here and now that I am the odd one out in this situation. When it comes to sport my family vote yay and I - generally - vote nay. But given the opportunity I will say yes to tennis match tickets. If only for the slight chance of watching Roger Federer. Which I did not. Instead we saw the Sodderling vs. del Potro semi final and I had a lot of fun cheering Team Robin, bemoaning tennis points I didn't understand and searching for celebrities in the commentator's box ("I think it's Tim? It is! No wait, it isn't.") At one point somebody in the crowd yelled, "DO IT FOR ABBA!" Unfortunately, Team Robin lost in the final set (is that the right terminology? I don't know) but it was pretty amazing all the same. Afterwards, we went back to SE8 and squished four people into my room :) The next day we did an EPIC Tescos shop (so much nice food, krispy kremes and an electric blanket) and my dad cooked the biggest Sunday brunch. We did various jobs about the house (reattaching curtains and the like), then we went to Greenwich for an hour of market time. They have just left now and I miss them already. Two weeks ♥.

No comments: