Sunday 2 May 2010

Dig up Virginia, boys.

Things to do in lieu of writing an essay, a list in five parts:

1. Shop for blue typewriters and Gemma Correll prints on etsy
2. Join the unofficial liberal democrat page on facebook and refresh it over and over again
3. Download and listen to three months of Friday night comedy podcasts/political satire shows
4. Drink chocolate milk and watch Pocahontas on youtube
5. Go to Brick Lane and search for treasures at the Superette Rummage Sale

I gave myself a few undeserved hours off this morning in order to go to the aforementioned Superette jumble sale. For some reason I decided to wear a summer dress and a flimsy pair of tights, cue a miserable fifteen minutes waiting for the 47 bus in the wind and the rain. Misjudging myself as ever I arrived in Shoreditch with far too much time to spare, so I walked the length of Brick Lane, popping into vintage shops and furniture markets to avoid the weather. I bought a crepe and ambled back to the previously quiet Superette, only to find it full with laden tables and rummaging shoppers and devoid of 'first-come' goody bags. So much for my early start, but my shiny purchases soon made up for it. I found and bought a £5 Lomography camera, a cardie, a skirt with a pretty birdcage pattern, a bracelet, a set of postcards from Lazy Soosan (look, there I am buying their wares) and a brooch and necklace combo from the last of the Lady Luck Rules OK stock.

On the way back to Liverpool Street I bought some post-it notes and made some self-inflicted transport errors in order to decorate the tube map with #libdemflashmob stickers. I felt like such a vandal, walking along the platform at Aldgate and leaving them in stupid places, like under chairs and on the sides of pillars, because I was worried that somebody would see me. No wonder I've never made good use of the Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith. I'm far too establishment for art bombing.

No comments: