Thursday 17 February 2011

Keep Calm and Carry Yarn.

“No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.” — Albus Dumbledore


We held the first W.I. crafternoon session at our house this evening and in between arranging biscuits on a plate and struggling to make cups of tea, I whipped out my new Cath Kidston needles and my cheapsy wool and tried my hand at knitting. I am told that I was taught how to knit when I was six or so, but clearly my knowledge of knit one, purl one did not survive the test of time, because tonight I was rubbish. Everybody else went home proudly, with a nice little rectangle of neat stitches to show their mummies and daddies, while I was left with a knotted ball of twine. Even so, I have set myself all sorts of impossible projects (little hats for innocent smoothie bottles, anyone?) in the meantime. It may seem extremely silly considering the wool on needles to wool off needles ratio this evening, but I am in actual love with the knitting patterns on this website. And what self-deprecating English Lit student wouldn't appreciate a Penguin scarf/ mittens combo? Better get practising.

No comments: