Monday 7 February 2011

Mum's the word.


Alongside developing new skills and making new friends, an essential objective of the Women's Institute involves raising awareness about important causes within the community (and further afield), and fundraising and campaigning towards these issues. My first task as vice-president of the Goldsmiths W.I. was to organise the latest monthly meeting and with this in mind I arranged a visit from Health Poverty Action, concerning their campaign, Mothers on the Margin. We met with Sarah Edwards at the Amersham Arms (where my carefully arranged custard cream art caused quite the stir) and learnt about the vital work of the charity, which works alongside indigenous communities in order to tackle ignorance and eradicate inequality within areas of maternal health. It is a long-term project, which seeks to affirm and develop traditional understandings of healthcare, rather than assimilate them and it is a project which the Goldsmiths W.I. is keen to stand behind. Keep an eye out here for fundraising-related announcements (which, if you need an assentive, will probably come in the form of cake) and general W.I. goings-on.

No comments: