Sunday 1 February 2009

农历新年.

Pinch, punch.
The last few days have been a lovely combination of productive and fun. On Thursday I washed some clothes, walked to the Post Office and sent a letter to Norway, bought some beautiful peach tulips for my new flower vases, vacuumed and cleaned away all the dirty dishes in the kitchen. On Friday I went to my Approaches classes, wrote a large amount of letters, read the text for Monday's lecture, walked to the postbox, began work on an essay and watched some QI. On Saturday (and here I must assure you that the weekend did progress beyond 'productive') I went food shopping, posted some more letters and organised two folders of work. I then glanced at my phone, discovering that I had a missed-call from an 020 number. After referring to the great oracle Google I learnt that it came from a phone box somewhere in the Greater London area. The mystery number rang again and I ignored it. It rang again and I grew suspicious. On the fourth attempt I answered.. only to hear Harry's voice spewing forth from the other end. Very suspicious.
"Harry," I asked. "Why are you calling me from a London phone box?"
"I'm outside," he replied. "Can you let me in?"

We went into Central London, to Topshop as always. :) Harry bought a new black shirt and a grey cardigan for himself, and pretty mix and match writing paper and a bag of pick 'n' mix for me. We ate dinner in McDonald's and then we took the train to the cinema where we watched Frost/Nixon. Popcorn + slushy blue drinks + pick 'n' mix = yum-full ♥. We both felt that the film was very well done, as it antagonised neither David Frost nor Richard Nixon and left the viewer to make their own judgements. Frank Langella played a very human Nixon, which I felt added to the film's overall success. Back in New Cross Harry attempted to set up his new projector, but ultimately failed so we went to bed.

Today we woke around ten and Harry made sausage and egg sandwiches, while I dressed. After a quick Wheetabix hunt we set off for Chinatown, where we wandered about the New Year celebrations in the biting cold. There was a large stage in Trafalgar Square with dancing, singing and martial arts, stalls in Leicester Square and I do believe we caught the start of the dragon parade in Chinatown proper before we were forced into a nearby Starbucks by the weather. I had a big red balloon at one point, which read Happy New Year and had a picture of an Ox on one side, but sadly Harry popped it. We went to Covent Gardens for a bit, but eventually we fled back to New Cross in search of warmth. We made scrambled eggs for tea, watched an episode of the IT Crowd and drank hot chocolate before Harry left. It has been snowing and outside now looks like this (^):
(I wonder if snow days are still a possibility when University is a mere five minutes away? Either way, tomorrow I'm going to fashion me a snowman!)

No comments: