Monday 2 February 2009

Snow Day.


I woke this morning to the sound of silence, which could only mean one thing: the trains had stopped. I sleepily rolled over and opened my curtains an inch, only to fall back, blinded by a skyless white light. Eventually I got up and opened the curtains fully. The railway line was completely hidden under a blanket of white and snow continued to fall from the sky. A quick Internet check confirmed my hopes and suspicions. Goldsmiths was closed for the day. I showered quickly and dressed in several layers of warm clothes, hat, gloves and scarf. Then I ventured out into the wintry cold.
New Cross was a different world for its coating of snow. The roads were quiet, the cow bins were sporting new white hairstyles and people walked about with slow, jerking strides as they tried not to slip on the icy pavements. I wandered around for a while taking photographs and intercepting the odd snowball fight and then I walked to Sainsbury's where I stocked up like there was no tomorrow. Back at the flat I changed out of my cold wet clothes and set about making some fairy cakes for Kyrone's birthday. I spent some time in the kitchen Rick and Cecilia while they baked away in the oven and then came back to my room before tea. I've just heard a train whizzing past my window, which is very sad news indeed.

No comments: