Monday 3 August 2009

In the Jungle.

Two years ago today I came home from Indonesia feeling tired, sun burnt and hungry for running water and home cooking. But oh so happy too. We went to the island of Sumatra for fourteen days of orangutans, rain forest, white water rafting, jeep rides, elephants, card games, rambutan, school visits, sandy cities and desert islands. In Bukit Lawang we stayed in an Eco Lodge and ventured into the jungle each day to watch for signs of wildlife and learn about the local conservation efforts. In Tangkahan we rode elephants across a river and through the undergrowth. In the city of Padang we visited a local school, where we provided new books and sang endless rounds of the Hokey Cokey and Old McDonald has a Farm. My friend Will, who has dark hair and wears glasses was lovingly referred to as Harry Potter. On Sikuai Island we planted coral and read by the sea. All in all it was rather lovely.

Today, in a state of reminisce I have been flicking my way through several hefty albums of photographs, the best/most interesting of which I thought I would share with you here and now. Sumatra oh-seven ♥

No comments: