Monday 31 August 2009

Praha/Prag/Praga.

Back from the CZ now and I mean to write about it as soon as possible. I planned to detail a little of the day-to-day while I was there - the Czech computers being a lot more available/negotiable that the Turkish ones - but when it came down to it I was just too tired in the evenings. I love the culture, I do, but wow does it wear you out. Still, all in all it was a lovely holiday. I really need to stop worrying and complaining in the run-up, as I've never had a bad holiday yet. I suppose it's just a way of lowering my expectations and thus having a better time when I get there.

My very potted week log, enjoy:

As predicted we were indeed kept busy, but a couple of day trips helped to break up the week and as a result my feet aren't hurting quite as much as expected. We started with a day of general sightseeing and wandering. It is such a beautiful city that you could spend several days walking about and simply taking in the lovely architecture, etc. But we didn't, just the one. In the evening we found ourselves watching a folklore festival, in which the cow-herding Russian dancers got over-exciting with their whipping, knocked a microphone off the stage and slapped one of the band members in the face. We visited the castle and the cathedral on the second day and I believe I took somewhere over a thousand photos of the colourful stained glass windows. For tea there was TGI Fridays, which made me happy. On Thursday we went on a day trip to nearby Kutná Hora to see the Ossuary (bone church). I saw one on Long Way Round (the Ewan McGregor/motorcycle/travel around the world television programme) and I was intrigued. For tea there was Hard Rock Cafe, which made Josh happy. The next day we returned to the castle so that my dad could visit an art gallery and we could go to the toy museum. Afterwards we went to the Franz Kafka museum, which was interesting, if a little dark/cryptic. On Saturday we went to Terezin, a former Jewish ghetto and prison camp. We were taken on a guided tour around the old prison and there was a commemorative museum inside one of the old schools. It was a very interesting visit, but not an especially joyful one. In the afternoon we drove back to Prague, where we visited the Communism museum. Also interesting and a little more up-beat. On Sunday we did some final morning sort of things, like buying pretty gingerbread hearts and last-minute postcards, then we went to several Jewish synagogues and the Old Jewish Cemetery. We flew back by means of Frankfurt, which was all very well and good, except for the fact that we almost missed our connecting flight and our suitcases decided they'd rather stay in Germany. So I am home, happy but also somewhat clothesless. Oh, deary me.

AND BREATHE.

No comments: