Thursday 11 March 2010

There will be trains.

A title which has very little to do with the week gone by and a lot to do with all the trains that will ensue this weekend. I can't wait.

This week: Gabby bought a handful of spring-themed decorations and so we spent Saturday morning blowing up balloons and stringing the living room with flower-garlands in preparation for Jenny's birthday party, take one. Alice and I went to Tesco and I stalled for a long time in the alcohol section waiting for Harry to arrive (:)) After carrot cake and champagne we put on our 'Jenny's Birthday' tshirts (courtesy of Gabby's friends Jenny's Birthday) and went to the Auctioneer in Greenwich. Harry gave me money for the pub quiz machine and vodka with red bull to keep me awake. It didn't really work and I fell asleep halfway through Speed. Still don't know how she gets out of those handcuffs, dammit. On Sunday morning I dragged myself out of bed and onto a bus bound for Oxford Street. It was LOMOGRAPHY camera workshop day at the Goldsmiths W.I. and after a small slideshow and demonstration talk we were set free on Carnaby Street with blue&black plastic cameras in hand. It was a lovely sunny day and I took a few pictures out in the open air, but pretty soon our avid photography descended into Beyond Retro shopping and lunch at Bodean's. Normally I would offer to scan the end results, but due to the resultant poor lighting and my inability to remember whether or not I'd wound on the film I have a lot of grey and grainy 5.2x5.2cm squares and not a lot else. No wait, I lie. You may have a photo of a neon pig, if you would like? Still, it was a fun afternoon and I remain undeterred. I will buy myself a Diana F+ when my next loan comes through and my photos will be fabulously arty and beautiful.

This term must have soared by because soon it was Tuesday and I was off to Oxford to see Charlotte's end-of-term play, this time entitled Villainy! and starring Charlotte for all of two minutes :) In true OULES style it starred lots of vampires, Satan, vigilantes, superheroes, hallucinations, cult members and evil scientists as well as the usual sing-song qualities and I enjoyed myself greatly, despite Charlotte's limited (yet doubtlessly brilliant) contribution. It reminded me of Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog so we went back to David's room and I forced them to watch it ("A man's got to do..." has been embedded in my head ever since and I love Neil Patrick Harris forever). The next morning I ate David out of Muller Fruit Corners and when Charlotte finished her lectures for the day we walked into Oxford and did a little bit of shopping. We went to see the Steampunk exhibition at the Museum of the History of Science, but it had all but finished. Instead we wandered around and looked at the old astrology charts and the Victorian curiosities, etc. After a couple of coach calamities I went back to London and arrived back at no. eleven in the middle of Jenny's birthday celebrations, take two. So we went to transvestite night at a burlesque bar. Hum.

Today I have mismanaged most of the things I intended to do, meaning that I didn't get my hair cut, bought a floral playsuit rather than a Beatnik costume, walked twice as far as I ever needed to and missed A Single Man at the cinema. Instead I went to see Leap Year, which confirms every American or Irish stereotype there is going and made me cringe a little more than it made me smile. Now, I'm sat in the library finishing Goodbye to Berlin before the late-fine kicks in, hoping that somebody will lend me their sewing skills when I get home and starving myself because I'm too lazy to step back out into the cold.

No comments: