Friday 18 September 2009

Where The Wild Things Are.

(namely Lion Man)

These past few days I have been camping in the wilderness with Charlotte, Harry, Vicente, David and Will, just like old times :) We went on a gigantic Tescos spree before we left, and bought supplies which consisted mostly of meat, crisps and alcoholic substances, thanks to some inspired shopping choices. We drove deep into Snowdonia to the campsite at Gwynant; Harry, Senay and I arriving to find the tents ready erected, hurrah. The boyfolk built a large, smoky campfire and set about cooking burgers and playing shot chess (of which Harry was the undisputed champion/hardiest drunk). Vicente distributed much-needed wilderness hats from Bolivia. And Charlotte and I grew progressively more cold, to the point that I spent the remainder of the evening snuggled in Harry's sleeping bag.

I was awoken at the bright and early hour of nine o'clock by the restless, experienced campers among us. Harry made eggy bread and sausages for breakfast and then I went for a solo adventure in the surrounding countryside. After a pot-noodle lunch Will, Charlotte and I ventured to Capel Curig for the computer-age equivalent of collecting the mail (i.e. checking for texts) and gas/snack buying. It was lovely and warm inside the car, but alas we were not permitted to remain and so back to the campsite we went. There, we were allowed to lounge in the relative warmth of the tent for a while, completing some crosswords and snacking on jaffa cakes. In the evening we were driven back out into the cold for pasta, marshmallows and mulled wine. Charlotte and I were sent away to wash the dishes (women that we are) and when we came back (after a good half hour of intensive scrubbing) there were jacket potatoes waiting. We played a spate of drinking games, including Ring of Fire and the one where we are all shops (?), until eventually this descended into our usual marathon of 'President'.

By the last day I was wearing ALL of my tops, I was that cold. After breakfast Harry, David and Vicente hired kayaks and rowed out onto the windy lake. They took it in turns jumping from the hillside into the freezing water as Charlotte, Will and I snapped pictures from the safety of the bank. Later we set off in search of signal and food again. I was in charge of securing a second lift home and in the process I bought a pound's worth of fudges ♥. Back at the campsite I went for another solitary explore, past the ruins and over a couple of stiles and small streams. Eventually I came to a field of sheep and fearing I was trespassing turned back again. The joys of the wild. :) Back at camp we began dismantling the tents and packing our things away. Charlotte and I acquired the remaining bread and went off to feed the ducks. I think we rather stole the thunder of a couple on the opposing bank with a similar idea. All the ducks flocked our way rather than theirs. Eventually we arrived home, tired and grateful for hot water and warm beds. I have washed my hair two times already and yet it still smells of woodsmoke. As much as I try, I don't think I'm cut out for the wilderness.

No comments: