Thursday 21 January 2010

Shizz.

Fun things are happening in the land of Jess. As told by bullet points :)

1. On Thursday last my dad was in town thanks to an unscheduled work-related jaunt and so we spent the morning in the National Portrait Gallery looking at everybody and everything, bar the Beatles to Bowie exhibition (which I'd like to see before it finishes on the twenty-fourth). I loved it because Holbein through Hockney, it was like one big history-art-and-literature lesson rolled into one. In the gift shop I had to resist buying several things I didn't need. Hum, perhaps I need to pop back with my Christmas money at some point. My dad skedaddled off to his meeting, I did some unnecessary shopping and later we ended up in Nandos at Euston station for chicken and chit-chat.

2. On Friday, I set off to New Cross in order to watch Taylor in the Shakespeare Society production of Hal V and I missed the bus, so I thought to myself, 'never mind, I'll go tomorrow'. On Saturday I missed the bus again and so, there being no tomorrow this time around, I found myself running all the way down Sanford Street with only a couple of minutes to go until curtains up. My oh my am I unhealthy. The play was pretty amazing and Taylor was in it a lot more than I expected, which was an added bonus. I am a little bit inspired to sign up to this acting malarkey at some point in the future. Afterwards I went home (little dog on the bus with painted toe nails, say wha?), met and vetted Zack and watched far too much Gavin and Stacey before bed.

3. We went to the Hobgoblin on Sunday evening to meet up with Lydia and Oli and as if by magic a pub quiz was produced. We came second = we truly are rising up in the quizzing world. Also, we spent some time devising a full and hearty list of shenanigans for the Scawen Road crew to complete over the next few months.

4. I had a well needed haircut followed by a W.I. meeting on Monday. We have so many exciting activities to look forward to this term, starting with:


I'm looking forward to the jiving and the knitting and the Lomography field day in particular (yes! practise before I buy :)). Afterwards we went to the Hob for drinks and a bit of a catch-up. I'm glad it's all go at the Goldsmiths W.I. again.

5. Small and useless fact: I saw a lot of foxes this week. One on Saturday, skulking in the bushes, two on Tuesday on the way up to Wetherspoons. I stopped the Tuesday night foxes mid-fight, just by staring at them (or as later Alice corrected me, I probably interrupted them in the middle of foxy-sex-making, oops). ALSO, Paris is booked :) tres excited.

6. My auntie came a-visiting this week. We ate pizza and gelato on the Wednesday night and talked long and hard about books and art and films, then we went back to SE8 to play word-related boardgames until bedtime (cozy or civilised or old? Who cares, I had a lovely time). In the morning we went to the Royal Academy to see the GSK contemporary exhibition, Earth: Art of a changing world, which took a good hard look at climate change, etc. in several different medias. In particular I enjoyed the Antony Gormley piece, the story of Sophie Calle and 'Doomed', the disaster movie montage by Tracey Moffatt. One of the exhibits - a small, gold and inconspicuous looking thing - is primed to explode one hundred years after its creation. A generic observation I know, but it really makes you think. Go see for yourself :)

Still to come this (lovely, busy bee) week:
Frank Turner concert, Harry to visit and Manchester ♥.

No comments: