Saturday 26 March 2011

Fan(g)girls.

Wait. Did I say I wouldn't mention Being Human again? Sorry about that. One more and then it's out of my system. Three weeks ago when I was stumbling blindly through essay jungle and refreshing the Beeb website more times than healthy, I came across this article and without thinking, the nerd in me picked up her debit card and made some hasty online transactions. Cue four different alarm clocks ringing at 6am this morning and an eight o'clock train from Euston.

I arrived at the NEC an hour later, early-bird ticket in hand, and spent a good fifteen minutes hiding from stormtroopers and ghostbusters as they milled about outside the convention hall (not entirely sure how I coped at Disneyland, but hey). Once inside I wandered around in geeky awe, taking in the comic book stalls and the lifesized DeLorean and the various Doctor Who incarnations (where do they get their brown trench coats from?) In one of the great ironies of my life I love table-based shopping (car boot sales, bring and buy, craft fairs), but I am terrible at interacting with stallholders, so I looked at the wide selection of posters and figurines from a safe distance until Josh arrived.

The highlights of my day (besides spending lots of quality time with my brother, of course) were by and large Being Human related. Following on from an odd Star Wars recruitment drive, Russell Tovey and Sinead Keenan held an amusing Q&A session on the main stage. I almost went as far as to ask a question, but mostly my hand waved about in a sad half-mast position, until the MC looked in my direction, at which point it promtly fell. I did however, pluck up enough courage to queue for an autograph. I stood in line trying to think of something awfully witty to say to them, but when it got to my turn I basically just grinned inanely and gushed, "asdfghkljiloveyou"
and "thankyouforawonderfulseries". It was embarrassing.

We finished off the day with a touch of light shopping (my David Tennant action figure has 3D glasses. What does your do?) and Wetherspoons' most expensive burger, before jumping on our seperate trains home again. My apologies if you find this level of nerdom cringeworthy. I think I actually managed to keep this pretty Being Human-lite (poor Josh had to put up with the rest; "they just seem like really lovely people", "and then I shook his hand" (:)), etc. Sorry Josh.). Just don't be surprised if I dress up as a werewolf next time. Of course I jest (mostly).

No comments: