Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Reader.

Today I went on a Cineworld test-run, by way of Chinatown. It was a cold day, but sunny and bright, and red, Chinese lanterns danced gaily above me as I made my way around the Soho area. While there I browsed the shelves of the Chinese supermarkets in search of red envelopes and other New Year gifts. Unfortunately, I was drawn to and distracted by the colourful, E-number enhanced illustrations in the Japanese snack section, so my attempts at cultural celebration may come across as a bit confused.
At one o'clock I took the Piccadilly and Central lines to Bank, in order to catch the DLR. There, to my great pleasure, I was able to sit in a front window seat, so the journey took on a somewhat monorail-like, roller-coaster expectant form. I watched the Reader, starring Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. Based on the novel, Der Vorleser by Bernhard Schlink, the Reader explores the subjects passion, illiteracy and the Holocaust. Having read the Reader over the Christmas period I found the film an accurate and powerful adaptation of a simple, yet effective story. I have since heard that Kate Winslet won a Golden Globe for her performance as ex-prison guard Hanna Schmitz and rightly so.
Unfortunately, I am yet to watch my second choice, Slumdog Millionaire. I meant to return and watch it in the evening, but there was a two hour wait between films and I felt I needed time to digest one film before diving straight into another (and I hear Slumdog has its heart-breakingly sad moments too). Perhaps I will return on Friday after my auntie's lunch visit and view it then.

No comments: