Monday 19 January 2009

Weekend.

The past few days have been spent in a combination of listless exhaustion, mini jobs and Jane Austen, and a sprinkling of social shindigs.

On Friday, following an interesting seminar in which Jenny, Lucy and I dissected Moulin Rouge! songs in an attempt to uncover poetic leanings, I spent the afternoon engaging with Emma Woodhouse and her wily ways and rediscovering sitcoms of the late 1990s on 4OD.
Saturday-day was spent in much the same fashion, but for the addition of evening plans. Although Jenny, Rick and I originally arranged to convene for food and drinks at Charing Cross, we ended up in the kitchen with a couple of bottles of wine, where we were joined by Aaron, Casie, Ronnie and our new flatmate Cecilia. We chatted, ate our way through Rick's last bag of McCoy's crisps and a garlic bread loaf and listened to the noises emitting from Aaron's laptop as he tried single-handedly to bring back the computer game Abe's Odyssey. Later we relocated upstairs to F4, where I made Sally proud by beating both Casie and Ronnie in a heated game of Spit.
Sunday hailed the best meal I've had since returning to London in the form of Casie and Ronnie's delicious roast dinner. I wouldn't be lying if I said that there was more food on offer than Christmas Dinner itself, as we gorged our way through a large chicken, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing balls, cauliflower and cheese and much, much more besides. Afterwards, feeling substantially fatter for the experience, we watched Serpico and So I Married an Axe Murderer on Rick's new projector and finished the evening with chocolate gateau and rosé wine. ♥.

Tonight the plan was to go to the Ministry of Sound for a rare night-out, but having just returned from my 5 o'clock seminar and with the prospect of double lectures tomorrow, I'd like nothing better than to make myself some chicken lasagna with chips and read through some Creative Writing papers, then turn up the heating, turn on the Scrubs and retire to bed for the night. And yes, duly noted, I can be such an old person when I want to be.

No comments: