Wednesday 10 June 2009

Durham, Durham.

I have had a suitably busy/enjoyable time in Durham this week. I love staying with my Grandma. It's always lovely, whether we're out and about or eating afternoon tea by the fire ♥

What did we do, what did we do. On Sunday we went to a Food, Flower and Craft fayre at Raby Castle. We browsed the stalls a couple of times and then bought orchids, fudge, note cards and bath bombs. In the evening we watched the Calendar Girls, keen W.I. members that we are :) On Monday we went to Durham for the day. We looked at the shops and at lunchtime we ate at the all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant. I bought a great book called:



It includes such gems as :

"If you saw me running across the hall this morning I was not, as you probably think naked, I was just wearing hairy pants - honest! Hmm very embarrassed, was a bit drunk and confused"

and it's amazing how much I can relate to the notes inside (although not necessarily the incident mentioned above). Such are the joys of shared accommodation. In fact, I am very tempted to follow the example of one contributor and stick a big, fat "Has anyone seen the kitchen?" across the dishes-strewn table. On Tuesday morning we went into Crook for an hour or so. We browsed the shops and the stalls in the market place, before heading home for a quick lunch. In the afternoon we went to Bishop Auckland, where I was delighted to find a Home Bargains. Once again we dawdled from shop-to-shop-to-shop, but between us we bought nothing but a bag of pasta and a bottle of body spray. After dinner we had something of a craft evening, as we started (and completed) the sparrowkids bag I got for Christmas (it's the grey one in the picture below). I've been carrying it from place-to-place for several months now, in the hope that somebody would help me, so it's nice to finally have it done. Oh, and blanket stitch is now my official favourite stitch.



I went home on Wednesday afternoon, armed with sandwiches and home-made Morton toffee-cake, only to land slap-bang in the middle of a tube strike. So is life, I suppose.

No comments: