Sunday 14 June 2009

Marylebone.

Tales from the front-line of flat-sharing.
This morning I woke up to chaos in the kitchen (which sounds something like Puppies in the Pantry or Hedgehogs in the Hall, but wasn't). The chairs were upturned, empty bottles and dirty plates littered the table, and while that was nothing new, there were gouges missing from the walls, broken cups and plates scattered across the floor and the fire extinguisher had been ripped from the wall and smashed. I stood there, somewhat dumbfounded until Rick came along and we pondered the situation together. Which lead, in a roundabout way, to our own humble contribution to I Lick My Cheese.


It's funny how things come back to haunt you.
I had plans, so for the time being I put the kitchen catastrophe (damn alliteration, why can't I stop?) to the back of my mind and set out for Camden. Which was stupid and busy and very, very hot and ultimately in vain, because the stall I was looking for had vanished. Undeterred by an unfortunate start however, I took the tube to Bond Street where I met up with Taylor. We went to the Marylebone Summer Fayre, where there was a large Farmers' Market and lots of other stalls besides. We went to Oxfam Books and Music, where we spent several minutes reading old postcards at the back of the shop; I put my hand in the box and the first card I pulled out was from Porthmadog.

Walking down Marylebone High Street was a difficult affair as every other stall contained food and every foodstuff looked and smelt more tempting than the last. I had to make a real effort to stop myself spending £5.50 on a steak burger or a punnet of strawberries. Further down the street was the Cabbages and Frocks market, where Taylor and I bought a cupcake a piece. Taylor's was red velvet, mine was carrot and walnut and they were both delicious. We also went to the Cath Kidston store where there was 15% discount ♥. I bought these here shoes and a pretty London postcard to send to my mum.

Eventually we came back via. the DLR. With only a week to go of my first year in New Cross, I am finally beginning to understand the layout of the nearby area. This evening, I am going to help Cecilia move her things to a friend's house and then we're going to convene in the (much destroyed) kitchen for some good old flat bonding time.


Postscript.

I forgot to mention the amazing day I had on Friday with my auntie. We met in Covent Gardens in the morning and had a drink and a pastry in Costa. Then we went to some shops and Pizza Express and the Tate Gallery. In the evening we went to see this at the Coliseum:


My very first opera :)
It was absolutely amazing: beautiful, yet heartbreaking. In particular, I enjoyed the use of puppetry in the second and third acts. Three men dressed in black and veiled controlled a little puppet boy in order to portray Madam Butterfly's son. It was extremely life-like and he got his very own round of applause at the end.

Also, with regards to the rowing, Harry did good. Don't worry, I don't understand it either. But I am informed that it was good. And people were thrown in the river.

No comments: