Sunday 21 June 2009

Marmaris.



Tomorrow I am flying off to Turkey with a group of friends. I am casually nervous about the whole thing, as every single guide book I have glanced upon thus far has included an encouraging epitaph along the lines of, "Marmaris is the third of Turkey's less-than-holy-trinity of hugely overdeveloped Aegean resorts" or "Boosters call it 'Green Marmaris', which it certainly is, but they omit mention of the humidity, the ferocious mosquitoes and the amorphous concrete sprawl that extends for nearly 10km around the bay". Basically this is my first all-expenses-spared-package-holiday-with-friends and I am sceptical until proved otherwise. Of bikinis and booze I am not a fan.

On the other hand, I go armed with several good books/ a disposable camera or two/ a dash of optimism that somebody will boat ride to Rhodes/ bus ride to Gallipoli with me. Also, after years of dusty museums and Roman ruins I am sure I can appreciate a little of this sun and beach simplicity. Also also, I hear there is Internet in the hotel so I will try my best to update you as to how I get on.

No comments: