Thursday 4 June 2009

Hello Summer.

And so begins the updating process.

Things have been a bit non-stop since I arrived back in London at the end of April. At one point I was out of the city almost twice as much as I was in it. Summer term started with a visit from my auntie and my Grandma, on the premise that Gran would never see where I have been living this year otherwise. After a potted-tour of New Cross we went to Greenwich for the day. We ate lunch at Cafe Rouge and walked in the park until it started to rain. In search of shelter we made our way over to the Naval Academy, which we found besieged by actors and film crew. When asked, a steward said that they were shooting scenes for a Bollywood film, watch this space. Later, we went back to my room so I could pack an over-night bag and then off to Marble Arch/Oxford-land did we go. I stayed in Oxford until Thursday - we went to my great-uncle's house on the Wednesday - slept in my own bed on Thursday night, then set off for Oxford again on Friday afternoon. This time my parents and brother were there and we went to see an excellent all-day performance of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. We also went to a National Trust house, which had a great second-hand book shop and there was definitely Chinese food at some point.

Back in London I had two and a half weeks of late-night essay writing, revision and panicking ahead of me. I had to submit a coursework portfolio, with creative writing and analysis and a ridiculously high word count, which cost me several nights sleep, and there were also five hours of exams to endure. On the whole, I felt they went well - bar the moment when I realised that my Seamus Heaney revision was redundant and I must instead turn my (painfully last-minute) attentions to pre-1900s poets instead.

After my exams I went to Cambridge for a few days. Harry was busy a lot of the time, so I had to entertain myself, but as this mostly involved sleeping late, shopping and a trip to the Fitzwilliam Museum, it was no hard task. When Harry wasn't working we went out for a meal at Bella Italia, had a bedroom-floor picnic, watched Studio Ghibli films, ate take-out pizza, went to the cinema and went shopping. On the Montag I went back to New Cross for an evening. It was Cut + Stick evening at the Goldsmiths W.I., which involved very little cutting and sticking and much tie-dying and tea-towel sewing. There were W.I. clothes tags involved. It was amazing.

On the Tuesday I went to Copenhagen, which you might as well read about here.

I went home for Josh's birthday and the bank holiday weekend, which turned into a five day stay instead. Due to engineering works and non-existent trains I had to redirect the London-Chester journey via. Birmingham International and Crewe. It was an awful journey, extremely slow and irritating, and it took us over two hours to get to Leamington Spa alone. Eventually, however, I met my family in Chester and all was put right again with a Deep Fried Mars Bar. In the evening we took Go Go Eskimo to Tom's quiz and I went into Llandudno for all of thirty-five minutes. On Josh's birthday we went to Bodnant Gardens for the day, where we had a lot of fun making stop-motion images, and to Pizza Hut for dinner, where we had a lot of fun making silly faces. And on Bank Holiday Monday I went to Chester for the day with Hannah, Vicki and Emily and in the evening to the cinema, to watch Angels and Demons with my dad and my brother.

Actually, all this being said, it doesn't seem like much at all. There has also been a couple of hours with Sally in Hyde Park, a couple of cinema trips and a craft evening with Taylor. But done and done, I am up to date at last.

No comments: