Monday 16 March 2009

Granny 'Smiths.

Okay okay. We might not be Granny 'Smiths in reality, but the name will live on, in my head at least.

This evening a group of W.I. ladies came to Goldsmiths in order to investigate our group and initiate us in the ways of 'Jam and Jerusalem'. They talked us through the history of the W.I., the various levels of the institute and the requirements of joining and maintaining a successful organisation. There were thirty or so girls there in total and we had to agree upon committee members, a president (India, our 'founder' was the obvious, unanimous choice) and a name for the group before we were officially formed. Ultimately, Goldsmiths W.I. was the decided title, although I still maintain the brilliance of 'Granny 'Smiths'. (Ah well. As I said - in my head.) In the meantime, a newspaper photographer was circling the room, wielding a gigantic camera and snapping away at every opportunity. When the official proceedings were concluded he photographed us reaching for the large plate of homemade cupcakes in the centre of the table. I shall be checking the Times tomorrow and will partake in some scanning/uploading if the picture is suitably pretty.

After the photo-man had left and we were in the process of consuming the tasty cakes, there was a slight incident. Several members of the Feminist Society expressed annoyance over an article that appeared in the Evening Standard on Friday. There was a bit of back and forth debate and some under-the-breath mumbling, but eventually we reached a 'ceremonious agreement' and were left to our W.I. questionnaires and our plans.



Oh, and exciting stuff. We're off to the BBC Television Studios on Wednesday to film a 'Bake Off' for an episode of the One Show to be aired on Thursday. I'm going to be faaaaamous.

No comments: