Thursday 12 March 2009

Wichtig Von Handlanger.

I'm in Oxford.

I arrived on Tuesday evening, armed with an over-large suitcase and a shoulder bag and trundled through the streets towards Mansfield. Charlotte was in the theatre until ten so I went for a walk in the direction of Keble and the National History Museum, in the hope of finding the appropriate college. Ultimately unsuccessful however, I wandered back and spoke to Harry on the telephone while I waited. Around ten thirty an anxious Charlotte appeared, but I was there and all was well, so we went inside.

In the morning I went to my auntie's house while Charlotte was in her lectures and did some editorial work. We had lunch and then I went back to Mansfield. Charlotte and David were busy doing some Mathsy work, so I organised the folders on my laptop and played with the magical narrator function. At 5:30ish Charlotte dropped me off at Keble and went to prepare for her play. David and I walked into Oxford and ate dinner at O'Neills. Apparently I wasn't very hungry, as I only ate the chips (of which there were about eight in total) and one or two bites of my burger. At half seven we went to Wadham where we watched the OULES productions of Robin Hood/ Indiana Jones. Charlotte was Alfonso the Great and a suspect German. As ever I was pleasantly entertained. David on the other hand, was knee-raped by an over-keen German officer. Later, back at Mansfield, Charlotte and I watched the Studio Ghibli film, Grave of the Fireflies (;_;) and then went to bed unnecessarily late.

In the morning I went to my auntie's house again and completed another few hours of work. As well as my generous wages I also acquired a Travel Scrabble set and a selection of old books, as my auntie was clearing out her storage boxes. I went back to Mansfield for a smidge before heading in the Keble direction once again. This time, David and I (plus 'James' from St Catz.) went to the Guest Night in the (would have been Harry Potter) Great Hall. It was my first formal dinner experience and I was a little worried that I would look utterly common in comparison with the Oxford lot/ the food would be inedible, but in reality nobody paid much attention to anybody else and the meal was delicious. We had a strange pear dish to start, followed by chicken stuffed with cheese and creme brulee for pudding.

I am now in David's room, waiting for Charlotte to materialise and watching amusing videos on YouTube. I love Oxford visits.

No comments: